Campus Vista Historic District is roughly bounded by Thomas Road and Flower Street, 7th and 11th Avenues and Flower Street, and Osborn Road and 10th and 15th Avenues.
All the homes in the Campus Vista Historic District are walking distance to Phoenix College and the fabulous Encanto Park. A very short drive to St. Joe’s Hospital and all amenities such as Safeway and Bashas’ grocery stores, a U.S. Post Office, lots of restaurants, golf, the light rail, Park Central Mall (for your Starbucks and breakfast cravings at the Good Egg) along with plenty of other regular living necessities are all part of residing in this wonderful neighborhood.
Historic Significance: Historic Residential Subdivisions and Architecture in Central Phoenix, 1912-1963. and period of significance 1939-1956. Historic Function is Domestic and Religious with three religious complexes within Campus Vista. One noteworthy resident was Cliff Wharton, who lived at 931 W. Verde Lane. Wharton was the first African-American United States ambassador.
The Campus Vista neighborhood sits in the shadow of Phoenix College, The neighborhood consists of nearly 200 homes which is just a snapshot of an earlier time when housing was greatly in demand during and after World War II. The opening of the (at the time) new Phoenix College campus in 1939, at the corner of Thomas Road and 15th Avenue, created demand for housing nearby. Undeveloped farmland adjacent to the campus was soon bought up by developers of residential subdivisions. With its proximity to Phoenix College, Campus Vista soon became home to many students, teachers and administrators, as well as businessmen and business owners.
Architectural Styles and Square Footage: Campus Vista Historic District was a transitional neighborhood, built partly to prewar patterns and partly according to postwar trends. Predominately Modern Movement Ranch-Style, tidy, red brick homes wrapping around the central-city campus with late 19th and 20th Century Revivals generally ranging from 1,400 to 1,700 square feet, typically with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, many with detached garages. The lot sizes average around 70 feet wide by about 125 feet deep. Homes also feature small porches as well as broad front lawns with towering palms and pine trees. Some of the engineers, builders and Architects were Lescher & Mahoney Westward Homebuilders; Valley Construction Company; C.F. Crittenden.
The Campus Vista neighborhood sits in the shadow of Phoenix College, its tidy redbrick homes wrapping around the central-city campus. The neighborhood of nearly 200 homes is notable for its ranch-style architecture, a snapshot of an earlier time when housing was greatly in demand during and after World War II. Homes also feature small porches and detached garages, as well as broad front lawns with towering palms and pine trees.
When Campus Vista was being built, developers envisioned a neighborhood that middle- and upper-class residents would want to call home. They touted the adjacent college and Encanto Park, and their advertisements beckoned “discriminating buyers,” city historical records show.
Today, the neighborhood’s location near the college and within walking distance of restaurants and shops is part of what makes it appealing to residents.
Sam Gualtieri moved into Campus Vista in 1962 and has lived in his 1940’s home ever since. The modest brick home, with three bedrooms and a detached garage, was a good fit for his young family when they moved in. An ophthalmologist, Gualtieri also enjoyed being able to walk to work at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center.
Gualtieri has no plans to move. He jokingly blames inertia and is seeing an influx of young homeowners drawn to the neighborhood as he was decades ago.
Campus Vista Historic Homes For Sale