Encanto Manor Historic District boundaries are roughly Thomas Road and Windsor, 7th and 15th Avenues.
Encanto Manor Historic District homes lie in The Encanto Golf Course backyards. The homes on the north side of Edgemont are closer to Phoenix College. The homes on the north side of Edgemont are closer to Phoenix College, north of Thomas.
Built between 1945 and 1959, the architectural styles and square footage in Encanto Manor are mostly Ranch style or Transitional Ranch style with one Mission Revival built in 1911. Square footage averages 1,700 to roughly 2,000 square feet with 3 bedrooms and two baths on average. Lot sizes are generous averaging approximately 8,700 square feet. Large lots accommodated significantly larger houses than the average in the postwar era, which attracted upper middle-class families to Encanto Manor. Also, larger lots were more expensive, drawing people with more money.
This district encompasses two residential subdivisions, originally platted in 1945. Fifty-two builders created the 84 homes in the district in the transitional ranch style using many nuances borrowed from the revival styles, particularly in roofing and porches. Homes in Encanto Manor have few fences and follow many of the same designs to maintain a patterned look in the neighborhood. Twenty-six of the homes are directly butting the golf course and no house in Encanto Manor is more than one block away from it. Don’t be surprised when you find random golf balls laying around.
Encanto Manor’s period of significance is 1945 to 1955 and was designated a Historic District in February, 2006. The district has been well maintained in the ensuing decades and none of the houses have been demolished. The district retains a high level of integrity with 85% of resources contributing to the historic character of the neighborhood.