Experts In Helping People Buy & Sell Historic Phoenix Real Estate.
CENTRAL AVENUE NEIGHBORHOOD & CORRIDOR
Homes For Sale In The Central Avenue Neighborhood in Phoenix, Arizona
Light Rail Downtown Phoenix, AZ, Central Avenue Corridor
The Central Avenue Corridor is located halfway between the major arterial roads of 7th Street and 7th Avenue, Central Avenue is the dividing line for Phoenix’s east and west sides.
The Center of it All
This neighborhood’s corridor divides a larger area known as Midtown Phoenix; The collection of wonderful neighborhoods north of Downtown and south of the North Central and Sunnyslope area.
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Close to Downtown Phoenix
While driving south on Central Avenue, you’ll be taken into the core of downtown Phoenix. Driving north, however, will take you into some of the finest real estate Central Phoenix has to offer. It’s fun to just cruise around and view the beautiful estates or take a serene stroll along the Murphy Bridle Path. Buying a home in the Central or North Central Corridor is a wonderful choice.
Murphy Bridle Path In The Central Avenue Neighborhood
Murphy Bridle Path
This particular landscape or streetscape’s history is significant in telling the story of how Phoenix developed in the late 1880’s and the early years of the 20th century.
As a result, William J. Murphy, who moved from Illinois to Phoenix in 1883, built the Arizona Canal and established the Valley citrus industry in the northern extension of Central Avenue in 1895. Additionally, he developed the roadway cutting through the Orangewood subdivision that was first paved in 1920.
Early Years Transportation
In the early years, horses, being a popular mode of transportation, traveled up and down the street. As motor vehicles took over, the horses, Weight said, moved to the east side of North Central Avenue. Therefore, the earliest reference to the Murphy Bridle Path that the city’s historic preservation office discovered was in 1948 when the bridle path was dedicated by the “Arizona Horse Lover’s Club.”
So, Murphy was also responsible for creating the lushness. He planted a row of ash trees on each side of the street from 1895 to 1906. Then, he added a row of olive trees on each side from 1906-1915. In the 1960’s, the ash trees were replaced by pine trees and residents complained so heartily that the city replaced the pines with ash trees in the 1970’s.